Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Let's Talk About Hair, Baby!!

As many of you may know for the past seven years I have wavered on my "hair" faith. I wore permed hair for a large portion of my life. That was until I woke up & smelled the burned hair. I can honestly say that I never had a bad "permed" hair experience up until last year when I backslid. Prior to that, my hair was healthy...(as healthy as it could be given the harsh chemicals in relaxers). In 2001 when I made the decision to go natural it wasn't because of a bad hair experience, it was because of my love for dreadlocs.

I know that there are some of you or someone you know who is undecided about whether or not to go natural. For many people making the decision is a huge step. Thoughts of what will people think of you with "natural/kinky" hair plays a major role in the decision-making process. So, if you or someone you know needs assistance during the early stages, I have a few recommendations.

http://www.nappturality.com/ - This site has forums, articles, photos, & much more.
http://naturalfreedomjourney.com/ - This site helped me tremendously. This sister has braidlocz.
www.motowngirl.com - This site has a bevy of information such as homemade haircare recipes, product reviews, hairstyle tutorials, & more.

There are also a slew of fotki albums to view for hair inspiration. For those who are unaware, Fotki is a site where you can share pictures with anyone you choose. I created a fotki album several years ago to document my Sisterlock hair journey, & I also have one this time around. You can view my album, check out my friends & view their albums as well. My album can be found at: www.fotki.com/phephi .

So, remember, if you're contemplating crossing over to the "natural hair" side, keep positivity all around you & don't be afraid!

No comments:

Post a Comment